So… your CV has been shortlisted and you’re through to the first stage of the interview process - the telephone interview!
This is the initial screening process. The likelihood is you are applying for a customer service role involving telephone work. This is the first impression our client will have of you and they will be listening to your telephone manner, voice, diction and overall verbal presentation.
How does it work?
• With your permission, we supply the client with your contact number and an available time for them to call you
• Position yourself in a quiet place and, if on a mobile, in a clear signal area with a fully charged battery
• The teams in HR / In-House Recruitment are likely to be working through a large volume of telephone interview calls so do make sure that you are going to be free at the time you advised us you would be
• Have your CV to hand, the client has and will be asking questions relating to it. Make sure you are 100% familiar with each point on it and can provide evidence about what you have stated you have experience of
• Ensure you know about the role you are going for. Thoroughly read and understand the job description and if you are unsure of any point please call your Consultant who will clarify and explain
• Research the company - companies like to know you have done your homework
• Just because it is a telephone interview doesn’t make it any less structured or formal
• Just because it is a telephone interview doesn’t make it any less important
• Our client will be looking for evidence of your experience / skills / qualifications and training and will be identifying your suitability for the role
• They will be verifying dates and your reasons for leaving positions - make sure that you can explain these clearly
• They will be assessing how keen you are to join their organisation and perform the duties associated with the role
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions. This is your opportunity to be specific about anything you want to know about the role or the company. Prepare some questions in advance
Lastly and most importantly - Speak clearly!
Have a smile on your face as you reply, it works - your voice sounds more attractive when lifted by a smile!